After you have left us a deposit and retained us as your bankruptcy lawyer, please bring the documents listed below to your second visit to our office. We need to have the following documents in order to prepare your bankruptcy petition. If you have any difficulties in obtaining the required documents, please give us a call.
Important Documents Needed from Clients
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of driver’s license or other state/city issued photo ID with current address
- Copy of recent bank statement(s) for ALL of your bank accounts
- Copy of 2015 and 2016 FEDERAL tax returns
- Copy of 2015 and 2016 STATE tax returns
- Copy of 2015 and 2016 W-2 forms
- Copy of last seven (7) MONTHS of paystubs (NOT 7 paystubs)
- If you are paid bi-weekly, this is approximately 15 paystubs. If you are paid weekly, this is approximately 31 paystubs.
- If you do not have these, please obtain them through your employer.
- Please bring updated paystubs with you EVERY TIME you visit our office.
- Copy of husband or wife’s paystubs (You MUST bring 7 MONTHS of your spouse’s most recent paystubs and/or statements for other sources of income whether or not he or she is filing.)
- Copy of last seven (7) MONTHS of statements for any other source(s) of income (ex: Social Security, Disability, Unemployment, Pension)
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: recent appraisal report from a licensed appraiser
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: recent mortgage statement
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: deed for property
- IF YOU OWN A MITCHELL LAMA CO–OP: letter from management company stating the value of your co-op (this is how much money would be returned to you if you were to move out of your co-op)
- IF YOU PREVIOUSLY OWNED A HOME DURING THE PAST 6 YEARS: closing papers from sale or transfer of home