After you leave a deposit and retain us as your bankruptcy lawyer, please bring PHOTOCOPIES of the documents listed below to your second visit to our office. We need to have the following documents in order to prepare your bankruptcy petition. If you have any difficulties in obtaining the required documents, please give us a call.
Document Requirements to File Bankruptcy
Please refrain from submitting originals as we do not make photocopies at the office.
- Social security card
- Driver’s license with current address
- Last three (3) months of bank statement(s) for ALL of your bank accounts
- 2017 and 2018 FEDERAL tax returns
- 2017 and 2018 STATE tax returns
- 2017 and 2018 W-2 forms
- Last seven (7) MONTHS of paystubs (NOT 7 paystubs)
- If you are paid bi-weekly, this is approximately 15 paystubs. If you are paid weekly, this is approximately 31 paystubs.
- If you do not have these, please obtain them through your employer.
- Please bring updated paystubs with you EVERY TIME you visit our office.
- Husband or wife’s paystubs (You MUST bring 7 MONTHS of your spouse’s most recent paystubs and/or statements for other sources of income whether or not he or she is filing.)
- Last seven (7) MONTHS of statements for any other source(s) of income (ex: Social Security, Disability, Unemployment, Pension)
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: recent appraisal report from a licensed appraiser
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: most recent mortgage statement
- IF YOU OWN A HOME: deed for property
- IF YOU OWN A MITCHELL LAMA CO–OP: letter from management company stating the value of your co-op (this is how much money would be returned to you if you were to move out of your co-op)
- IF YOU PREVIOUSLY OWNED A HOME DURING THE PAST 6 YEARS: closing papers from sale or transfer of home